Tuesday, April 11, 2006

First spring lamb

Ewe #415 has been looking like she wanted to be the first new mama of the year for some time, and this morning she accomplished exactly that.

I went out in the morning to let the ewes into the next paddock and 415 was already started. Her water had broken before I got there. I let her be for a while, but when I went back out about an hour later two little hooves and the tip of a nose was exposed and she didn’t seem to be making much progress so I went ahead and pulled the lamb. The ewe was a first time mama, she probably didn’t need the help, but it speed things up at least.

The ram lamb weighs in at 9lbs 15 oz, and seems to be doing fine. It went to nursing at less than an hour old.

1 comment:

Tom Scepaniak said...

That first one is always special! We're just starting calving and the feeling is the same. Just got done checking the seventh calf born, a nice black baldie.

Tom